Research has indicated that the amount of sleep runners get may be linked to possibly preventing running injuries. Sleep helps the body to maintain strength, and may be connected to the minimization of stress the muscles and joints endure while running. Other benefits of sleeping the recommended eight hours per night may include restoring the body’s energy, recovery from possible fatigue, and enhancing one’s running performance. Getting the proper amount of sleep may be beneficial in recovering from an existing injury, as well as helping one to become more alert. Healthy sleep habits can include maintaining a consistent sleep schedule, and resting in a bedroom that is cool and comfortable. If you would like additional information about how to prevent running injuries, please consult with a podiatrist.
All runners should take extra precaution when trying to avoid injury. If you have any concerns about your feet, contact Dr. Martin Sloan of Lake Pointe Foot & Ankle. Our doctor will treat your foot and ankle needs.
How to Prevent Running Injuries
There are a lot of mistakes a runner can make prior to a workout that can induce injury. A lot of athletes tend to overstretch before running, instead of saving those workouts for a post-run routine. Deep lunges and hand-to-toe hamstring pulls should be performed after a workout instead of during a warmup. Another common mistake is jumping into an intense routine before your body is physically prepared for it. You should try to ease your way into long-distance running instead of forcing yourself to rush into it.
More Tips for Preventing Injury
- Incorporate Strength Training into Workouts - This will help improve the body’s overall athleticism
- Improve and Maintain Your Flexibility – Stretching everyday will help improve overall performance
- “Warm Up” Before Running and “Cool Down” Afterward – A warm up of 5-10 minutes helps get rid of lactic acid in the muscles and prevents delayed muscle soreness
- Cross-Training is Crucial
- Wear Proper Running Shoes
- Have a Formal Gait Analysis – Poor biomechanics can easily cause injury
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact our offices located in Rockwall and Abilene, TX. We offer the newest diagnostic and treatment technologies for all your foot care needs.
Read more about How to Prevent Running Injuries